Friday 31 January 2014

Living in My Car

My father told me "Always own a car. That way you always have a home and can just pack up and go if you have petrol." I never thought that I would one day live out of my car.

I'm too big for the backseat of my car. I have to sleep curled up all night. I can't stretch out otherwise people can see my feet. I am always so sore in the morning. I have to climb through the front seats to get out from the back seat. Sometimes I get my foot stuck. Ouch!  I have to put the key in the ignition to wind the window down to open it. It often worries me because a fast exit cannot be had.


I never get a full night's sleep. I get cramp in my calf muscles. Ouch! I have to get up through the night to have a stretch. I wake up early at daylight and then (if it is a weekday) I have to wait four hours until the charity opens. At least I can have a hot shower. I can do my washing and clean my car out. Yahooo!

I use public barbecues to cook food, and a butane stove to make a coffee. I also use the powerpoint at the barbecues to charge my phone. One day people at the barbecue had an electric kettle plugged into the power point. I asked if I could use the powerpoint for my phone. "Are you a local?" they asked. "We pay rates!" Now what have I done? It's not fair. 

My car phone charger is not playing the game. First my car fridge breaks down, now this. Why is it the simplest things go wrong? I need it! It means the world, otherwise I'm alone.

Living in your car sucks!

In the evenings the mozzies start. I need repellent. Another hell night for sleeping. I love the rain but can't leave the car windows down. It' gets so humid. If it rains and I have to close windows at least then there are no mozzies, but the car gets hot and the windows fog up. When you sleep in a car you must always keep the windows down a fraction. Condensation can get into the electrical components. This has happened with my car. I have electric windows and door locks. The doors wouldn't open from the inside. It is a pain.

My living fear is that I have car problems. This week my car is making a sound. It is the bearings. Please car stop making that sound. Please. I've been waiting for this. Oh great, it is going to cost $389. That's gonna clean me out. That uses my whole cheque. What am I going to do now?

One of the good things being homeless is that I always park near the water. I park near the beach, rivers marina carparks, dead end roads - always near rivers, ocean or lakes. I wake up to a room with a view. I can appreciate the beauty of the water. Most women would be too scared to be where I am parked, but the car is locked. It's safe.


I do wish for a home. My homes were always full of plants and I used to treat myself to flowers - they fill the home with life in a way that a painting cant. All I would need is a bed, a shower, a kitchen, a fridge – a place where I can unpack and know that I don't have to move. A place where I can write.

1 comment:

  1. I also live in my car. The worst for me is the lonliness and thinking about better days. I wish you the best. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it nice. Comments that are rude or distasteful will be removed. If you wouldn't say it to my face, please don't say it here.